CAPTAS-2 Variable depth sonar
Low Frequency Active and Passive Variable
excellent performance against quiet submarines to achieve any
anti-submarine warfare missions including escort, area sanitization and
own force protection.
Depth Sonar for Medium Platforms
- Very long range
Capable of very large detection in every environmental condition.
- Reduced operator workload
Easy to use with a minimum of training and experience required.
Simple launch and recovery of the Towed Body and the Towed Array.
- Cooperative asset
Very accurate target positioning to prosecute and engage distant submarines with airborne assets.
Multi-platform operation capability with two frigates in the same area.
- Embedded torpedo defence
Permanent self defence capability.
- Weight and performance trade-off
Offers a good trade-off between weight and performance.
- Mammals safe
Adjustable source level & noise monitoring for sea mammal protection.
- Low Life Cycle Cost
Large installed base and continuous evolutions for Inherent customer’s long term support.
- The only LFA VDS in service in NATO countries
- More than 40 CAPTAS systems already ordered
- French Navy (CAPTAS-4 on FREMM)
- Italian Navy (CAPTAS-4 on FREMM)
- Royal Malaysian Navy (CAPTAS-2 on SGPV LCS)
- Royal Moroccan Navy (CAPTAS-4 on FREMM)
- Royal Norwegian Navy (CAPTAS-2 on NNF)
- Royal Saudi Navy (CAPTAS-2 on F4000)
- UAE Navy (CAPTAS-2 on Abu Dhabi)
- UK Royal Navy (CAPTAS-4 on T23)
CAPTAS-4 selected by the US Navy for ADM contract on LCS programme.
OPERATIONAL HIGHLIGHTSA rugged design for sea operations, which allows the ASW units to transmit and receive at the right depth to maximize the detection of extremely quiet submarines.
The system is designed to deploy the arrays at optimum depth to continuously survey 360 degrees with a well covered water column, thus, overcoming harsh propagation conditions and surface-layer problems inherent to Hull-Mounted Sonar.
MAIN CHARACTERISTICSSystem features:
- For platforms > 1500T
- Operated either from a single dedicated console or from CMS Multi-Function Consoles
- A single winch to tow both the transmit Towed Body and the receive array for fast and safe handling
- Bottom safety warning functions
- Sophisticated processing techniques for maximum active and passive sonar performances
- Modular design to ease integration into customer CMS and fleet
- Solution for ASW mission modules (containerised)
- Multi-static capability
- Performance prediction function for sonar optimisation
- Comprehensive Built-in Test capability
- High Source Level thanks to 2 Free Flooded Rings
- 360° bearing omni-directional transmission
- Low reverberation effect, due to its vertical directivity
Receive Triplet Array Features:
- Instantly resolves right/left ambiguity issue